The original castle was built in 1220 as a defense against the Vikings. The outer wall remains, but most of the castle was constructed later. Eilean is the Gaelic word for island, and St. Donan was a martyred Celtic saint. The castle was abandoned for 200 years until it was restored in the early 1900s. It is maintained by a charitable trust and is a popular venue for weddings and film locations.